Thursday, May 22, 2008

Google Sites has Altered the Landscape for Wikis


Google Sites is the most exciting product I've seen from the Googleplex in quite some time. I recently started using Google Sites to manage information between a small team I'm managing. I've used dozens of Wiki products in the past and have never been so initially impressed by a Wiki than I recently was with Google Sites.

When I think back on all the Wikis I've used, the first thing I remember is having to learn an overly complex markup language specific to the Wiki. Just take a look at TWiki or PBwiki, both of which have complicated markup languages, reserved wiki words and so on. Google Sites implements simplicity with its rich text editor and html editor. Google Sites also offers a free Wiki giving Google Sites a huge leg up on the competition. And lets no forget Google Sites' User Interface which is a huge leg up on the competition. 

Google Sites offers a simplistic wiki solution and reminds me of the pre-iPod days. Before the iPod, dozen of companies were making overly complicated MP3 players with bad interfaces and an absurd number of unnecessary features. That is how I see existing Wikis solutions, over complicated, bad interfaces, and more features than the majority of users will ever need. Google has done for Wikis what Apple did for MP3s players. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what's your take on mediawiki?

Anonymous said...

Pre-iPod days sounds prehistoric. Time moves quickly in the tech landscape. Simplicity and an elegant interface is key for wikis particularly since so many are used by people who are educators, students, first time users.